Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Safe Cosmetics


I do my best to live a healthy lifestyle by eating whole natural foods and exercising daily. I feel I should do everything I can to remove excess toxins from my life. I realize that many of the cosmetics I use contain carcinogens and other harmful substances. 

Here is a list of the most common ingredients in cosmetics that can cause problems.

  • Parabens - Parabens are a chemical compound that are added to products to act as a preservative by fighting bacteria and fungus. It is an inexpensive preservative and is used in many cosmetics. Parabens are able to penetrate the skin and can interfere with hormone function. I have a thyroid problem and I know that many other women do as well. A possible cause of thyroid and other hormone problems may be the parabens we put on our skin everyday. To be safe I am now using paraben-free cosmetics. 
  • Formaldehyde - Another preservative used in many cosmetics. Formaldehyde can cause skin irritation and allergic reaction and is also a known carcinogen. 
  • Toluene and DBP - Solvents found in nail polish and other paints. These can cause fatigue, headaches and may harm unborn babies in pregnant women. When I was pregnant I would try to avoid places with strong smells like nail salons. Better safe than sorry.
Here is a list of cosmetics I love that I find to be safe:
  • Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics - Youngblood is made of pure premium grade minerals, is paraben-free and contains no synthetic ingredients.
  • Pharmagel - Pharmagel skin care uses natural ingredients to preserve and repair the skin. Pharmagel is vegan and paraben-free.
  • Bio Sculpture - Bio Sculpture gel is the only gel nail product that has undergone a clinical research study to prove that all the ingredients in the formulas are safe. Bio Sculpture gel nails have a 5 star safety rating.
  • China Glaze - China Glaze nail polish is carcinogenic-free and free of DBP, toluene and formaldehyde.
  • Hempz - Hempz body care contains hemp seed oil. The essential fatty acids in hemp seed oil help heal protect and renew the skin. Hempz creams are paraben-free, gluten-free and vegan.
  • Zuzu Luxe - A fabulous cosmetic line that is gluten-free, paraben-free and vegan.
There are many wonderful safe cosmetics on the market now but these are my favorites. I suggest that everyone read the ingredients in the products they use and try and find ones that free of the most harmful ingredients.